BILL SUMMARY for HB16-1001
HOUSE COMMITTEE ON BUSINESS AFFAIRS AND LABOR
|Votes: View-->||Action Taken:|
The committee reconvened.
03:42 PM -- HB 16-1001
Representative Danielson and Representative Buckner introduced House Bill 16-1001. The bill requires the Department of Personnel and Administration (DPA) to develop and make available on its website a form that allows individual bidders to self-certify that:
- the business does not pay any of its employees at wage rates less than the rates paid to other employees on the basis of gender, race, ethnicity, or national origin for substantially equal work, except in certain circumstances such as to reflect seniority, merit, or production and quality goals;
- employees of the business cannot be disciplined for sharing information regarding employee compensation with coworkers;
- the business publishes the salary range for available positions;
- the business does not restrict employees with stated criteria to certain job classifications and makes retention and promotion decisions without respect to these criteria;
- wages and benefit disparities are corrected when identified; and
- wages and benefits are periodically evaluated to ensure compliance with equal pay standards and laws, including how often such evaluation occurs.
Representative Danielson and Representative Buckner discussed amendment L.002 (Attachment E), which strikes everything below the enacting clause of the introduced bill.
Representative Danielson and Representative Buckner responded to questions from the committee.
04:13 PM -- Jack Wylie, DPA, responded to questions from the committee.
The bill sponsors and Mr. Wylie continued to respond to questions from the committee.
04:32 PM -- Michael Gifford, Associated General Contractors (AGC) Colorado, spoke about several changes he would like made to the bill.
04:36 PM -- Rebecca Meyers, Women's Foundation of Colorado, testified in support of the bill.
04:38 PM -- Sarah Parady, Colorado Women's Bar Association, testified in support of the bill. Ms. Parady responded to questions from the committee.
04:47 PM -- Sue Brown, Women's Lobby of Colorado, testified in support of the bill. Ms. Brown responded to questions from the committee.
Ms. Brown and the bill sponsors responded to questions from the committee.
04:54 PM -- Rich Jones, Bell Policy Center, testified in support of the bill. Mr. Jones responded to questions from the committee.
The bill sponsors responded to questions from the committee.
05:07 PM -- Pat Teegarden, CDLE, responded to questions from the committee.
The bill was laid over for action only at a later date.
The committee adjourned.