Skip to main content
Colorado General AssemblyToggle Main Menu
Agency NameToggle Agency Menu

I_TaxTask_2021A 10/22/2021 10:07:20 AM Committee Summary

PUBLIC
STAFF SUMMARY OF MEETING
INTERIM COMMITTEE  SALES AND USE TAX SIMPLIFICATION TASK FORCE
Date 10/22/2021
Attendance
Bryan Archer *
Paul Archer E
Michelle Bush X
Meghan Dollar X
Kipp X
Don Korte X
Tracy Kraft-Tharp E
Curt Osborne X
Josh Pens X
Andrew Wheeler *
Ryan Woods X
Woodward X
Van Winkle X
Bridges X
Time 10:07:20 AM to 11:24:09 AM
Place Old State Library
This Meeting was called to order by Van Winkle
This Report was prepared by Katie Ruedebusch
Hearing Items Action Taken
Update on the Sales and Use Tax Simplification (SUTS) System Committee Discussion Only
Public Testimony Committee Discussion Only
Final Approval of Task Force Legislation Committee Discussion Only
Discussion of Task Force Final Report Committee Discussion Only

10:07:25 AM
Vice-Chair Van Winkle called the meeting to order.



Update on the Sales and Use Tax Simplification (SUTS) System - Committee Discussion Only


10:07:59 AM  
Mr. Josh Pens, representing
the Colorado Department of Revenue, updated the task force on the Sales
and Use Tax System (SUTS).  His presentation may be found here:
https://leg.colorado.gov/content/itaxtask2021acommsched
10:09:29 AM  
He continued by discussing
SUTS rate and taxability GIS and API searches. He also answered task force
member questions.



Public Testimony - Committee Discussion Only


10:21:32 AM  
Mr. Brian Grall, representing the Simplify Colorado Sales Tax, came to the table to discuss business licenses and testified in support of Bill 1.
10:26:03 AM  
Mr. Trevor Vaughn, representing the City the Aurora, came to the table to discuss the SUTS system and Aurora's integration into the system.



Final Approval of Task Force Legislation - Committee Discussion Only


10:32:49 AM  
The task force began
discussing the draft legislation previously requested at the task force's
meeting on September 10, 2021. Rep. Kipp introduced Bill 1 and a proposed
amendment (Attachment A).  Mr. Jason Gelender, Office of Legislative
Legal Services, answered task force questions on Bill 1 and proposed amendment.
Task force discussion ensued on incidental presence.



10:58:50 AM
Motion Adopt amendment 1 to Bill 1
Moved Kipp
Seconded
Bryan Archer Excused
Paul Archer Excused
Michelle Bush Excused
Meghan Dollar Excused
Kipp
Don Korte Excused
Tracy Kraft-Tharp Excused
Curt Osborne Excused
Josh Pens Excused
Andrew Wheeler Excused
Ryan Woods Excused
Woodward
Van Winkle
Bridges
YES: 0   NO: 0   EXC: 10   ABS:  0   FINAL ACTION:  Pass Without Objection


10:59:32 AM
Motion Refer Bill 1, as amended, to Legislative Council
Moved Kipp
Seconded
Bryan Archer Excused
Paul Archer Excused
Michelle Bush Excused
Meghan Dollar Excused
Kipp Yes
Don Korte Excused
Tracy Kraft-Tharp Excused
Curt Osborne Excused
Josh Pens Excused
Andrew Wheeler Excused
Ryan Woods Excused
Woodward Yes
Van Winkle Yes
Bridges Yes
YES: 4   NO: 0   EXC: 10   ABS:  0   FINAL ACTION:  PASS
11:06:58 AM  
Rep. Van Winkle withdrew
Bill 3. Rep. Kipp continued by discussing Bill 4. Mr. Ed DeCecco came to
the table to answer questions regarding Bill 4.


11:07:54 AM
Motion Refer Bill 4 to Legislative Council
Moved Van Winkle
Seconded
Bryan Archer Excused
Paul Archer Excused
Michelle Bush Excused
Meghan Dollar Excused
Kipp Yes
Don Korte Excused
Tracy Kraft-Tharp Excused
Curt Osborne Excused
Josh Pens Excused
Andrew Wheeler Excused
Ryan Woods Excused
Woodward Yes
Van Winkle Yes
Bridges Yes
YES: 4   NO: 0   EXC: 10   ABS:  0   FINAL ACTION:  PASS
11:08:11 AM  
Rep. Kipp and Mr. Gelender discussed Bill 5.


11:15:13 AM
Motion Refer Bill 5 to Legislative Council
Moved Kipp
Seconded
Bryan Archer Excused
Paul Archer Excused
Michelle Bush Excused
Meghan Dollar Excused
Kipp Yes
Don Korte Excused
Tracy Kraft-Tharp Excused
Curt Osborne Excused
Josh Pens Excused
Andrew Wheeler Excused
Ryan Woods Excused
Woodward Yes
Van Winkle Yes
Bridges Yes
YES: 4   NO: 0   EXC: 10   ABS:  0   FINAL ACTION:  PASS



Discussion of Task Force Final Report - Committee Discussion Only


11:17:39 AM  
Mr. Matt Bishop,
Legislative Council Staff, came to the table to discuss the task force's
final report.  


11:24:09 AM   The committee adjourned.






COVID-19 Resources
NORTH ENTRANCE IS CURRENTLY CLOSED.  TO ENTER THE CAPITOL, USE THE SOUTH ENTRANCE, UNDER THE STAIRS, AT 14th AVENUE AND SHERMAN STREET.