Current law requires a legislative committee of reference to hold a hearing on whether to continue or terminate the existence of each division, board, agency, or advisory committee that is subject to sunset review. The bill reestablishes the committee for sunrise and sunset review (committee) and requires this committee to hold the hearings instead.
The committee consists of 6 legislators, appointed as follows:
- 2 members appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives;
- 2 members appointed by the senate president;
- One member appointed by the house of representatives minority leader; and
- One member appointed by the senate minority leader.
The committee is also responsible for:
- Reviewing proposals to regulate a new professional or occupational group; and
- Reviewing each bill introduced during the legislative session that creates a new advisory committee, which includes committees, boards, and commissions.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as introduced.)