Modify Operations Of The General Assembly
Submitting to the registered electors of the state of Colorado an amendment to the Colorado constitution concerning modifications to the operations of the general assembly, and, in connection therewith, decreasing the maximum length of regular sessions of the general assembly from one hundred twenty calendar days to ninety calendar days in even-numbered years and to sixty calendar days in odd-numbered years, limiting the number of bills and resolutions that a member of the general assembly may introduce during a regular session of the general assembly, establishing a biennial budget process, and establishing the process for consideration of the general appropriation bill.
2017 Regular Session
The resolution makes the following changes regarding the operations of the general assembly:
- Decreases the maximum length of regular sessions of the general assembly from 120 calendar days to 90 calendar days in even-numbered years and 60 calendar days in odd-numbered years;
- Requires a biennial budget session to be held in every even-numbered year;
- Limits the number of bills that a member of the general assembly may introduce to 2 bills in any regular session of the general assembly, excluding bills for appropriations and bills recommended by legislative committees;
- Limits the number of resolutions that a member of the general assembly may introduce to 2 resolutions in any regular session of the general assembly. This includes resolutions, joint resolutions, and concurrent resolutions, but excludes resolutions on the question of adjournment or relating solely to the transaction of business between the 2 houses.
- Allows both houses of the general assembly to create a restrictive process to authorize an exemption from the specified bill and resolution limits;
- Beginning with the fiscal year commencing on July 1, 2020, implements a biennial state budget cycle and specifies how the general assembly will apply existing constitutional requirements to the biennial budget process; and
- Establishes the process for consideration of a general appropriation bill.
(Note: This summary applies to this concurrent resolution as introduced.)