Stegosaurus State Fossil License Plate
The bill creates the stegosaurus state fossil license plate for motor vehicles. The department of revenue must designate a nonprofit organization to qualify applicants for issuance of the license plate. The organization must:
- Be headquartered in Colorado;
- Have been in existence for at least 5 years;
- Be a nonprofit organization;
- Provide educational services about the science and history of dinosaurs, dinosaur fossils, and related paleontology sites in the state;
- Support the stewardship and preservation of dinosaur fossils, tracks, and other natural resources;
- Manage land and paleontology sites that are registered as part of a national natural landmark; and
- Have been conducting preservation, stewardship, and management of dinosaur fossils, dinosaur tracks, paleontology sites, and other natural resources for at least 5 years.
An applicant qualifies for issuance of the license plate if the applicant makes a donation to the organization and pays all required taxes and fees. In addition to the standard motor vehicle fees, the applicant must pay 2 one-time fees of $25 for issuance of the license plate. One fee is credited to the highway users tax fund and the other fee is credited to the licensing services cash fund.
(Note: This summary applies to the reengrossed version of this bill as introduced in the second house.)