Director Szczurek provided an overview of several initiatives that have been implemented at OIT to examine what is working and where changes need to be made moving forward for the various state information technology (IT) projects.
Six common factors were identified that caused major IT projects to have issues in the past:
1. not having clear executive sponsorship and governance;
2. unclear or shifting requirements or project creep;
3. incomplete funding;
4. lack of best practices being implemented because of the timeline or budget (e.g., dropping IV&V);
5. lack of dedicated resources for major elements; and
6. not following IT standards and architecture (e.g., accessibility, vendor selection).
Director Szczurek discussed the components of Senate Bill 19-169 and how they are currently in place or being implemented in current and future projects.
Director Szczurek and Ms. Weaver responded to questions from the committee regarding the need for a Colorado Digital Service.