Katherine Loughead, representing the Tax Foundation, presented to the committee.
A copy of the presentation can be found here: https://leg.colorado.gov/sites/default/files/images/committees/2017/tax_...
Ms. Loughead's presentation covered the following topics:
- principles of sound tax policy;
- common types of tax expenditures;
- structural versus preferential tax expenditures;
- why the evaluation of tax expenditures is important;
- the effectiveness of tax incentives; and
- questions to ask when evaluating tax expenditures.
Throughout the presentation, Ms. Loughead responded to questions regarding the net operating loss deduction, the aspects of a broad-based and competitive tax code, and making all services subject to sales tax.