BILL SUMMARY For TABOR CONSIDERATIONS
INTERIM COMMITTEE LEGISLATIVE OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE CONCERNING TAX POLICY & TASK FORCE
Date Aug 24, 2021
Location HCR 0112
TABOR Considerations - Committee Discussion Only
The committee took a brief recess.
The committee reconvened.
Ed DeCecco, representing
the Office of Legislative Legal Services, presented to the committee on
various aspects of the Taxpayer's Bill of Rights (TABOR) for the committee
to consider in its work.
A copy of the presentation slides can be found here: https://leg.colorado.gov/sites/default/files/images/committees/2017/olls_tabor_presentation.pdf
Mr. DeCecco's presentation covered the following topics:
- circumstances that require prior voter approval under TABOR, including
new taxes, tax rate increases, increases in the assessment rate on classes
of property, and tax policy changes that directly cause a net tax revenue
gain to any district;
- several court case decisions that may impact the committee's work;
- circumstances that do not require prior voter approval under TABOR;
- the election provisions that exist under TABOR;
- the TABOR fiscal year spending limit; and
- other considerations under TABOR.
Throughout Mr. DeCecco's presentation, he responded to questions from the
committee regarding impacts on TABOR refund requirements, TABOR's refund
mechanisms, and the Referendum C cap,
Mr. Sobetski returned to the table and responded to questions from the
committee regarding the impact of the recent Census on the population adjustments
to the TABOR limit.