Skip to main content
Colorado General AssemblyToggle Main Menu
Agency NameToggle Agency Menu

H_AGR_2018A 03/19/2018 01:31:24 PM Committee Summary

PUBLIC
STAFF SUMMARY OF MEETING
HOUSE COMMITTEE ON AGRICULTURE, LIVESTOCK, & NATURAL RESOURCES
Date 03/19/2018
Attendance
Becker J. X
Buck *
Catlin X
Danielson *
Hansen X
Jackson X
Landgraf X
McKean X
Roberts X
Saine X
Valdez X
Esgar *
Arndt X
Time 01:31:24 PM to 02:22:27 PM
Place HCR 0107
This Meeting was called to order by Arndt
This Report was prepared by Meghan MacKillop
Hearing Items Action Taken
SB18-182 Referred to the Committee of the Whole
SB18-176 Referred to the Committee of the Whole
SB18-170 Referred to the Committee of the Whole

SB18-182 - Referred to the Committee of the Whole


01:34:48 PM  

Representatives Catlin and Arndt, co-prime sponsors, presented Senate Bill 18-182, concerning the authority to allocate a potion of the source market fee to statutorily authorized purse funds.  The bill authorizes the director of the Racing Division in the Department of Revenue (DOR) to allocate a portion of the source market fee deposited into the Horse Breeders' and Owners' Awards and Supplemental Purse Fund (Purse Fund) if he or she determines that such an allocation is necessary to maintain a sufficient and competitive purse structure.  This fund is to be paid as authorized by the director of the Racing Division as purses for races held at live race meets in Colorado or as otherwise directed by the Colorado Racing Commission.

01:35:04 PM  

Bruce Seymore, Mile High Racing, testified in support of the bill and responded to questions from the committee.

01:38:35 PM  
Tom Downey, Mile High Racing, testified in support of the bill and responded to questions from the committee.
01:40:12 PM  
Dan Hartman, Colorado Division of Racing, responded to questions from the committee regarding off-track betting in other states.
01:42:11 PM  
Representatives Arndt and Catlin made concluding on the bill. Committee discussion ensued.


01:45:02 PM
Motion Refer Senate Bill 18-182 to the Committee of the Whole.
Moved Catlin
Seconded Arndt
Becker J. Excused
Buck Yes
Catlin Yes
Danielson Yes
Hansen Yes
Jackson Yes
Landgraf Yes
McKean Yes
Roberts Yes
Saine Yes
Valdez Yes
Esgar Excused
Arndt Yes
Final YES: 11   NO: 0   EXC: 2   ABS:  0   FINAL ACTION:  PASS



SB18-176 - Referred to the Committee of the Whole


01:45:20 PM  
Representatives McClachlan and Catlin, co-prime sponsors,
presented Senate Bill 18-176, concerning the meeting times of the Southwestern
Water Conservation District.  Under current law, the board of the
Southwestern Water Conservation District is required to meet on the fourth
Tuesday of January, April, July, and October.  This bill requires
that the board meet once every three months, and removes the specific date
requirements.
01:48:18 PM  
Bruce Whitehead, Southwestern Water Conservation District, testified in support of the bill.


01:52:35 PM
Motion Refer Senate Bill 18-176 to the Committee of the Whole.
Moved Catlin
Seconded Jackson
Becker J. Excused
Buck Yes
Catlin Yes
Danielson Yes
Hansen Yes
Jackson Yes
Landgraf Yes
McKean Yes
Roberts Yes
Saine Yes
Valdez Yes
Esgar Excused
Arndt Excused
Final YES: 10   NO: 0   EXC: 3   ABS:  0   FINAL ACTION:  PASS



SB18-170 - Referred to the Committee of the Whole


01:52:44 PM  
The committee recessed.
01:54:50 PM  
The committee came back to order.
01:55:42 PM  
Representatives McKean and Hansen, co-prime sponsors, presented Senate Bill 18-170, concerning a water court process by which an owner of a storage water right allowing water to be stored in a new reservoir capacity may release water into an identified stream reach in a manner that protects the water releases while complying with mitigation measures identified in a fish wildlife mitigation plan approved by the Colorado Water Conservation Board (CWCB).
01:59:23 PM  
Eric Wilkserson, Northern Colorado Water
Conservancy District, testified in support of the bill.  Mr. Wilkerson
discussed the Northern Integrated Supply Project (NISP) and the releases
that would be protected by the bill.  Mr. Wilkerson discussed the
processes by which NISP participants must get approval.  Mr. Wilkerson
responded to questions from the committee regarding the releases outlined
in the bill and water court proceedings allowing for the releases.
02:07:45 PM  
Dianna Orf, Colorado Water Congress, testified in support of the bill.
02:10:22 PM  
Chris Piper, Denver Water, testified in support of the bill.
02:12:07 PM  
Emily Ibach, Colorado Farm Bureau, testified in support of the bill.
02:13:48 PM  
Chris Treese, Colorado River Water Conservation District, testified in support of the bill. He also stated that the Southeastern Water Conservancy District supports the bill.
02:15:59 PM  
Bruce Whitehead, Southwestern Colorado Water Conservation District, testified in support of the bill.
02:17:12 PM  
Jen Boulton, Audoban Rockies and Colorado Trout Unlimited.
02:18:29 PM  
Representatives McKean and Hansen made concluding comments on the bill.


02:22:10 PM
Motion Refer Senate Bill 18-170 to the Committee of the Whole.
Moved McKean
Seconded Hansen
Becker J. Yes
Buck Yes
Catlin Yes
Danielson Yes
Hansen Yes
Jackson Yes
Landgraf Yes
McKean Yes
Roberts Yes
Saine Yes
Valdez Yes
Esgar Yes
Arndt No
Final YES: 12   NO: 1   EXC: 0   ABS:  0   FINAL ACTION:  PASS


02:22:27 PM   Committee Adjourned






COVID-19 Resources
2021 Ballot Information Booklet (Blue Book)
NORTH ENTRANCE IS CURRENTLY CLOSED.  TO ENTER THE CAPITOL, USE THE SOUTH ENTRANCE, UNDER THE STAIRS, AT 14th AVENUE AND SHERMAN STREET.