Any person who does any of the following to a motor vehicle without the owner's consent commits tampering with a motor vehicle:
- tightens or loosens any fastening;
- shifts or changes the gears or brakes;
- scratches, mars, marks, or otherwise damages the motor vehicle;
- adds any substance or liquid to the gas tank, carburetor, oil, radiator, or any other part of the vehicle; or
- aids, abets, or assists in the commission or attempted commission of any of the above.
Tampering with a motor vehicle without the owner's consent results in:
- a class 1 misdemeanor if the damage is less than $1,000 dollars;
- a class 5 felony if the damage is $1,000 or more, but less than $20,000; and
- a class 3 felony if the damage is $20,000 or more and causes bodily injury to a person.