Mail Ballot Return Options Requirements & Procedures
- Allows the secretary of state to promulgate rules for the installation and accessibility of boxes at ballot drop-off locations for persons with disabilities;
- Makes state-owned properties presumptively suitable for use as stand-alone drop-off locations where electors may deposit completed ballots; and
- Encourages counties to identify and utilize commercial properties for stand-alone drop-off locations.
Section 2 :
- Removes the requirement that an elector provide postage on mail ballot return envelopes;
- Requires counties to work with the United States postal service to ensure the efficient delivery of mail ballot return envelopes, and to describe this effort in its mail ballot plan; and
- Directs the secretary of state to use federal 'Help America Vote Act' grant moneys to purchase at least one 24-hour drop box for each county in the state; except that counties may request a waiver from receiving such boxes.
(Note: This summary applies to the reengrossed version of this bill as introduced in the second house.)