Taxation - expedited registration program - private provider - appropriation. The act creates the expedited registration program. The program authorizes the department of revenue (department) to promulgate rules authorizing private providers to register interstate commercial vehicles.
The act requires the program to:
- Operate efficiently;
- Result in overall cost savings to the state by providing additional services or by increasing the speed or quality of service; and
- Register commercial vehicles and collect taxes and fees in compliance with state law.
To qualify, a private provider must:
- Be approved by the department;
- Use appropriate software approved by the department; and
- Submit evidence of financial responsibility.
A provider may collect and retain a convenience fee. The department may deny, suspend, or revoke the authority of a provider if the provider violates the law, makes a material misstatement in an application, or fails to perform.
To implement the act, the annual general appropriation to the department for driver services is decreased by $30,747; $25,471 is appropriated to the department from the general fund; and $26,141 is appropriated to the department from the general fund.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as enacted.)