Changes To Felony Murder
Concerning the creation of a class 2 felony offense when the death of a person is caused by a participant without deliberation in the course of the commission of specified felony offenses.
2020 Regular Session
Crimes, Corrections, & Enforcement
Under current law, it is a class 1 felony if a person commits or attempts to commit certain specified felonies and the death of a person, other than one of the participants, is caused by anyone. The bill:
- Requires the death be caused by a participant;
- Repeals certain elements of the affirmative defense;
- Changes the penalty from a class 1 felony to a class 2 felony;
- Clarifies that a court shall sentence a defendant to a definite sentence within the aggravated range when the court finds certain aggravating circumstances; and
- Provides for a defendant to be subject to a mandatory sentence as a crime of violence if the fact finder makes specific findings of fact.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as introduced.)