Technical Modification To Department Of Early Childhood
Title 26.5 of the Colorado Revised Statutes relates primarily to early childhood programs and services. In 2022, the general assembly enacted House Bill 22-1295, which established the duties of the department of early childhood (department), relocated early childhood programs from the departments of human services and education to the department, and created the Colorado universal preschool program in the department.
The bill makes technical changes to title 26.5 and related statutes, including:
- Updates language regarding gifts, grants, and donations to achieve uniformity;
- Allows the department to enter into
sole source contracts fora contract with an organization to provide early literacy programming and related supports and whole-child services;
- Adds the executive director of the department to the health equity commission;
- Adds the commissioner of the behavioral health administration to the Colorado child abuse prevention board;
- Clarifies reporting dates to ensure the department can complete and report data in a timely manner;
- Clarifies the department's responsibilities concerning child abuse or neglect record checks;
- Amends background and record check language to align with current federal and state practices and standards;
- Clarifies definitions;
- Updates references from "ICON" to "Colorado state courts data access system"; and
- Eliminates technical language no longer used in child care licensing.
The bill makes conforming amendments.
(Note: Italicized words indicate new material added to the original summary; dashes through words indicate deletions from the original summary.)
(Note: This summary applies to the reengrossed version of this bill as introduced in the second house.)