January July 1, 2023, the bill requires that, prior to selling or offering for sale any kratom product, each kratom processor must register with the department of revenue (department) and disclose certain information regarding each of the kratom processor's kratom products.
The bill also:
- Establishes the minimum requirements for kratom products;
- Prohibits the sale of kratom products to individuals under
1821 years of age;
- Requires a kratom processor to notify the department within 7 days after being notified that an adverse effect report was made with the federal food and drug administration regarding any of the kratom processor's kratom products;
- Authorizes the department to investigate adverse effect reports to determine whether a kratom processor has violated any of the standards specified in the bill;
- Requires the publishing of names and addresses of registered kratom processors on the department's website and allows the department to share the list of names and addresses with state and local agencies enforcing laws related to kratom; and
- Prohibits retailers from selling or distributing kratom products to individuals under 21 years of age and from selling or distributing kratom products that are manufactured by unregistered kratom processors.
The executive director of the department is required to adopt rules to administer and enforce the bill.
(Note: Italicized words indicate new material added to the original summary; dashes through words indicate deletions from the original summary.)
(Note: This summary applies to the reengrossed version of this bill as introduced in the second house.)