Sunset Continue Certification Of Nurse Aides
The act implements the recommendations of the department of regulatory agencies in its sunset review and report on the certification of nurse aides by the state board of nursing (board) as follows:
- Continues the regulation of certified nurse aides by the board for 7 years, until 2027;
- Combines the laws regulating the practice of certified nurse aides with the "Nurse Practice Act";
- Modifies the grounds for disciplining a certified nurse aide regarding the excessive use or abuse of alcohol or drugs;
- Eliminates an inconsistency regarding the waiting period to apply for a new certification following the revocation or surrender of a nurse aide certification;
- Repeals the requirement that the board send communications regarding disciplinary actions by certified mail; and
- Modifies the exception to uncertified nurse aide practice in a medical facility to allow an uncertified individual to practice for up to 4 months if the practice is within the scope of employment and is part of an approved training program prior to certification and the certification is not by endorsement.
Additionally, the act permits a certified nurse aide, if deemed competent by a registered nurse to do so, to:
- Place into a minor client's mouth medication that has been sorted by the minor's parent or guardian; and
- Administer oxygen and change ostomy bags.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as enacted.)