Sunset Naturopathic Doctors
The act implements the recommendations of the department of regulatory agencies in its sunset review and report on the regulation of naturopathic doctors as follows:
- Continues the regulation of naturopathic doctors by the department of regulatory agencies for 9 years, until September 1, 2029; and
- Provides immunity from liability for the director of the division of professions and occupations (director), division staff, consultants, and complainants in any civil action brought against the individual for acts occurring while the individual is acting in the individual's capacity as director, board member, staff, consultant, or witness, respectively.
The act also:
- Requires that of the 3 doctors of medicine or osteopathy who serve on the naturopathic medicine advisory committee (committee), one must be a pediatrician and one must be a member of a statewide multispecialty medical society;
- Requires the committee to meet at least once each year and tasks the committee with reviewing the naturopathic doctor formulary, making recommendations to the director on additions to the formulary, and discussing issues of importance to naturopathic doctors and their patients;
- Allows the director to make additions to the naturopathic formulary; and
- Prohibits a person who is not registered as a naturopathic doctor from using any title that implies the person is registered or licensed as a naturopathic doctor.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as enacted.)